Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tip #25: Visit Schools to Increase Your Visibility

School visits are very effective for me because I write Middle Grade and Young Adult. If you write other areas, you might want to change this to library visits. How do you get invited to schools? I started by contacting school librarians through email and offering my services. I also send brochures with my book descriptions and in spring I will be sending postcards as well.

At the school visits, I usually give a short speech, about 20 to 30 minutes tops. I often use a powerpoint presentation along with it. I do a reading of a chapter and then ask questions about that chapter and offer prizes to whoever gets the answers correct. I also have a short writing workshop that I’ve created for schools that are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment