Thursday, December 29, 2011

Who am I and why do you care?

I’m Sybil Nelson, an author probably just like you. I spent six years trying to go the traditional route with my books. Four of those years were with an agent. I was still not able to get published even after my agent sold the movie option to my Priscilla the Great series. So I set out to publish on my own, after signing two of my books to small publishers, I decided I could do a better job myself and started Indie Publishing my books. A year later, I have ten books published and I am closing in on 10,000 overall sales.

There are many Indie authors out there that have more impressive numbers than I do. Some with only one book. But here is the difference: I’m also married with two small children and I’m working on my PhD. To say I have very little time (and money) is an understatement.

For 2012, my goal is to be more focused and organized in my marketing efforts. I want to take my writing career to the next level. I’ve decided to document my journey and turn it into a book that will help other authors who have tight schedules and wallets. Why waste time and money on marketing efforts that don’t work? Learn from my mistakes and hopefully your journey will be quicker and easier than mine.

3 comments:

  1. I'll join you on the marketing effort as well since I'm so lacking in sales and really would love to see a fraction of what you saw this past year. Something I'll be working on is more consistent blogging on both my blogs and attending some different events and go from there. Time will tell what is working and what isn't. See you soon - E :)

    Elysabeth Eldering
    Author of Finally Home, a YA paranormal mystery
    "The Proposal" (an April Fools Day story), a humorous romance ebook
    "The Tulip Kiss", a paranormal romance ebook
    "Bride-and-Seek", a paranormal romance ebook
    http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com
    http://eeldering.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Sybil! I am so excited to read your posts this coming year!! And I'm super impressed by your 10K figure. Rock on!
    Cidney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cidney and Elysabeth. I'm looking forward to this. I've already started writing out a list of tips. Now I don't know what order to post them in!

    ReplyDelete