Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tip #57: Radio Interviews

So I just had my first live radio interview yesterday. I was so nervous that I spent hours researching how to have a successful radio interview and then took notes on all the suggestions. When the interview started, I ended up not using a single one of them. I just went with the flow and did what came naturally. The interview took a completely different turn that I hadn't even prepared for, but since I naturally like to talk, I was able to just speak to the topics that were asked. There are a few tips that may prove useful in the future so I'll share.

Almost every source I found said to not use a cell phone for fear of the call getting dropped. But I was in Florida in a hotel room and I didn't want to pay long distance fees for a call to California. My husband noticed that we had great reception in the hotel room. I also noticed that on the very program I would be on, many people were calling on their cell phones so I decided to give it a try as well. There were no problems. Reception was great and the call wasn't dropped. So if you have great reception and are not moving around, I suggest going ahead and using your cell phone if you have to.

I made copious notes about the topic I was supposed speak on which was about working mothers and their relationships with their children. I ended up only using one note as the conversation took a completely different turn about integration in schools. Thankfully, it was a topic I was completely comfortable speaking about and I was able to plug one of  my other books.

I was able to get the host's email address and I plan on sending him a really nice thank you note for the interview. I suggest always doing things like this as it will help you the next time you need an interview or may even get you recommended to someone else.

Now without further ado, here is my interview:

No comments:

Post a Comment